17 January 2009

Super Saving Saturday

Ok, really, I went shopping yesterday and today. I know, I know, craziness. Why must Meijer have these special weekend sales that persuade me to come back to their store again, but are not amazing enough to convince me to wait until the day of zoo-crazy people to do all of my grocery shopping? Ah, because they are brillant, that's why. Way to go marketing gurus, 1 point for you.

So this past fall, I didn't go grocery shopping for more than 2 months. I think I've mentioned that before. I got caught up in life, we have a giant stockpile of goods to cover the bases during the hiatus, and I was trying to save some serious money in the process. We did hit up the grocery for food for the holidays, but until this week I had not done any real grocery shopping/deal finding in F-O-R-Ever. There are a veritable ton of things we are out of because of it, and although we've been making due pretty well, it was time for some real shopping.

Now, before I post what I picked up, let me preface. I know I said at the beginning of the year that we'd be going to a $120/month grocery budget (for my family of 5). This first month, though, since I happened to come upon some much needed cash after all the other bills were paid, and since we haven't really grocery shopped in a million years, I'm cutting in some extra cash. Yea. That might make me a slacker or a cheater or something, but the point of a challenge is to improve each month. Last year we spent an average of $300/month on groceries (remember, for 5 adults ... not so shabby), so working toward anything less than that is progress enough for me. /preface, haha.

I should have taken some pictures when we hauled everything in (but I don't think of these things after hauling an entire car full of groceries through the blizzarding tundra). Next time, maybe? Here's what I got ... beware, I'm exclamation point happy today ...

2 Regular Lay's chips ... 1/2 price, now $1.99.
2 BBQ Lay's chips ... 1/2 price, now $1.99.
4 40oz Bisquick ... sale $1.99 - $1/1 coupons = 99c!
3 Kellogg's Mini-Wheats ... sale $1.99 - $1/1 coupons = 99c!
4 Eckrich Sausages ... sale, $2 - $1/2 coupons = $1.50!
(these are regular $3.89 at my store)
4 Crescent Rolls tubes ... sale, $1.50 - 25c/1 coupons - $1/4 Meijer store coupon = $1.
2 Betty Crocker frostings ... sale, $1.33 - 50c/1 coupons = 83c!
1 4pk DanActive yogurt ... sale, $2 - $1/1 coupon = $1!
4 boxes New York garlic toast ... sale, $2 - 55c/1 peel offs on box = $1.45.
(we use these for garlic bread pizzas ... soooooo yummy)
5 Betty Crocker muffin mixes ... sale, $1.67 - $1/2 coupons = $1.17.
4 Toaster Streudels ... sale, $2 - $1/1 coupons = $1!
2 big bags Green Giant veggies ... sale, $2.50 - $1/1 peel off on the bag - $1/2 Meijer store coupon = $1!
1 Premium saltines ... sale, $2.50.
16 Yoplait yogurt ... sale, 50c - $1/8 coupon = 38c!
6 boxes Fiber One granola bars ... sale, $2 - $1/2 coupons = $1.50.
2 boxes Fiber One toaster pastries ... sale, $1.67 - peel off coupons from granola bars = FREE!


In the 10 for $10 (11th FREE!)
4 Avocados
6 Hamburger Helper ... - $1/3 coupons = 66c.
2 bags Bugles snacks
3 Betty Crocker boxed potatoes ... -40c/1 coupons = 60c.
2 Betty Crocker cake mixes
4 Grands biscuits ... -$1/1 coupons = FREE!
8 boxes Green Giant veggies ... -$1/1 and $1/2 coupons = 50c or FREE!
1 bag Green Giant Steamers ... -60c/1 coupon = 40c!
5 Banquet microwave dinners
1 Hormel deli pepperoni ... -55c/1 coupon = 45c!
6 big cans Meijer diced tomatoes
6 bags Combos snacks
14 boxes Totinos Pizza Rolls ... -40c/1 and $1/2 coupons = 60c or 50c!
2 trays popcorn chicken
(we toss these in big giant dinner salads for 'fried chicken salad' ... yum.)
6 trays chicken nuggets
1 Aunt Millie's english muffins ... -35c/1 = 65c!
4 Dole salad mix
5 Michelina's microwave dinners ... -$1/5 coupon = 80c.
5 Lean Gourmet microwave dinners ... -$1/5 coupon = 80c.
(if that doesn't total 88 items, I missed something on my receipt ... it's possible.)

Plus, 8 of the above items were absolutely FREE because of the 10/$10 + 11th free promo. Yay!


My TOTAL would have been ... $297.64.
It was instead, ... $102.35.
(and would have only been $93.05 if my Meijer doubled up to 50c like the rest of the state ... non-doubling meanies)

That's a savings of $195.29! Yay!

Then, today we went back for the 3 day sale (and another couple 10/10 items), including ...

5 6pks of Diet Dr. Pepper ... sale, $7.96 total (Buy 2, Get 3 FREE!).
3 2 liters Coke ... $1.49 (Yea, not on sale ... picky Be)
1 Airwick Luminaire ... clearanced to $4.99 - $5/1 coupon = FREE!
4 Crescent Rolls ... sale, $1.50 - $25c/1 coupons - $1/4 Meijer store coupon = $1.
3 loaves Aunt Millie's bread ... $3.19 total (Buy 1, Get 2 FREE!).
3 Banquet microwave dinners
15 big cans Meijer diced and stewed tomatoes ... - $3/$15 Meijer brand catalina I got yesterday = 80c.
4 boxes Totinos Pizza Rolls ... -$1/2 coupons = 50c!
- $2 for FREE items from the 10/$10
- $1 for FREE Totinos catalina I got yesterday

My TOTAL would have been ...
$84.77

It was instead ...
$35.62.
(
+60c for bottle deposit)

That's a savings of $49.15!


TOTAL Spent: $137.97
TOTAL Saved: $244.44!


Did you go shopping this weekend? Crystal at MoneySavingMom did, and from the looks of her ever-growing Mr. Linky, so did a whole bunch of other people. You can check them all out here if you like.


Simply,

Em.

No comments:

Post a Comment