09 July 2008

Dehydrating Disaster

In general, we like to only buy fruit in season. So, we try to find creative ways to store and package it to last us through the long, cold, fruit-less winter months of Michigan. We live in cherry country, and since we all adore sweet cherries, I try to dry a couple (well, more than a couple) pounds of them every summer for long term use.

Until now.

Yesterday, I went to check on my precious dehydrating cherries and discovered that my beloved dehydrator had breathed it's last breath. It was still on, and hot, and trying to cook/rot my cherries at record speed.

Ahhh!

We quick pulled the cherries and tossed them in the freezer. They'll make a nice cobbler eventually, but now what will I do about my dried cherry shortage? No cherry oatmeal cookies? No cherries in granola? No cherries in homemade oatmeal packets?! Ahhhh! I could try the oven, but I'm afraid that my non-central air conditioned dwelling would get warm enough to cause a mutiny if I did. I could air dry them, but I'm kind of afraid of the fruit fly problem. Boo. Hmpf. I can't just run out and buy a new one. How very unfrugal that would be.

Any ideas?


Simply,

Em.

No comments:

Post a Comment